Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wessel

Default transfer data from one column into another column

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
from Column A to column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ray A

Several ways come to mind.
1)copy and paste
2)insert a new column A
3) in B1 enter =A1 and copy down
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish

"Wessel" wrote:

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
from Column A to column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

"Transfer" indicates to me that you want to move the data.

Cut and paste the entire column A to Column B

Copy and paste if you want data in A to remain.

Alternative to copy and paste would be to enter =A1 in B1 then
double-click on the fill handle to copy down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:31:05 -0800, Wessel
wrote:

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
from Column A to column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

One way,
Click on the column header to select the whole column, next slide your
cursor just below the header until it changes back to the arrow, next hold
down the mouse button and drag the column where you want it.

HTH
JG

"Wessel" wrote:

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
from Column A to column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wessel

Thanks for your replys guys, I guess I should make myself more clear. What I
am trying to do is as follows: I have been letting each column represent a
day, and each cell a task I have been doing. So now I have about 10 columns
filled in. But to make the sheet more presentable, I want to insert blank
columns for Saturday and Sunday. (I don't work then!) So, how do I go back
and insert blank columns? Because, if I use the cut/copy&paste option, surely
I would just be dumping the data from one column onto another one? Unless, I
suppose, I start from the last column, which has nothing to the right of it,
cut and paste that a few places to the right, and then, working my way from
right to left, move each column a few spots to the right, until I have some
empty columns in the middle representing Sat + Sun. But is there a more
efficient way? My eventual goal is to be able to make the computer do
whatever I want simply by snapping my fingers at it, so getting advice from
you guys is a first step in that direction.

"Wessel" wrote:

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
from Column A to column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

InsertColumns wherever you wish.

i.e. select column C & D and InsertColumns to get two blank columns.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP