-   -   position of decimal point when entering a number ... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63717-position-decimal-point-when-entering-number.html)

Paul (Bornival)

position of decimal point when entering a number ...

When I enter a number, the decimal point automatically poistions it-self
before the two last digits, even if I do *not* enter the decimal point.
Thus, if I enter 123, I get 1.23, etc...
When looking at the format of the cell, I see
- general
- sample: 1.23
How do I change this ?
(This was not occuring when Excel was installed, and is not occuring with
the same version of Excel on other machines; I suspect it ahs to do with a
corrupted temmlate, but which one ...?)

Ron Coderre

position of decimal point when entering a number ...

Try this:
ToolsOptonsEdit tab
Uncheck: Fixed Decimal places

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Paul (Bornival)" wrote:

When I enter a number, the decimal point automatically poistions it-self
before the two last digits, even if I do *not* enter the decimal point.
Thus, if I enter 123, I get 1.23, etc...
When looking at the format of the cell, I see
- general
- sample: 1.23
How do I change this ?
(This was not occuring when Excel was installed, and is not occuring with
the same version of Excel on other machines; I suspect it ahs to do with a
corrupted temmlate, but which one ...?)

pinmaster

position of decimal point when entering a number ...

Try:

Tools/Options/Edit and uncheck Fixed decimal

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Paul (Bornival)

position of decimal point when entering a number ...

Dear Ron,
Thank you. This solved all problems.
Have a nice week-end !
Paul.

"Paul (Bornival)" wrote:

When I enter a number, the decimal point automatically poistions it-self
before the two last digits, even if I do *not* enter the decimal point.
Thus, if I enter 123, I get 1.23, etc...
When looking at the format of the cell, I see
- general
- sample: 1.23
How do I change this ?
(This was not occuring when Excel was installed, and is not occuring with
the same version of Excel on other machines; I suspect it ahs to do with a
corrupted temmlate, but which one ...?)

Paul (Bornival)

position of decimal point when entering a number ...

Dear HTH,
Thank you. This suggestion, made also by another member of the group,
solved all problems. Have a great week-end !
Paul.