Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BlueRunner

Default Text using Alt+Enter does not show up (row height not a problem)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

How much text is there? If i'm not mistaken excel has a max of 1024
characters per cell so if your exceeding that, text will not show.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

It's almost 32k characters that can be in a cell. Excel's help states that only
1024 are visible, but that isn't correct if you pepper the text with alt-enters
every 80-100 characters.

But it's difficult to guess what the OP tried (and failed) with the lack of
details in his message.

pinmaster wrote:

How much text is there? If i'm not mistaken excel has a max of 1024
characters per cell so if your exceeding that, text will not show.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BlueRunner

Default Text using Alt+Enter does not show up (row height not a proble

Thanks, But this is not the problems guys. This is a new installation of
Excel on a new machine. I've been using Alt+Enter for years and for some
reason, the text does not show up, even if it's only a few characters
followed by Alt+Enter, then a few more characters. Please help.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Widen the column
Increase the row height
change the format to General
change the format to not white on white
check format|conditional formatting.

Do you see the text in the formula bar?

You're gonna have to provide some details sometime.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BlueRunner

I've tried all of that. Yes, I see the text in the formula bar, but not in
the cell. It's wierd though, as I have loaded other spreadsheets I have
created and many, but not all of the cells, have text or numbers that are not
showing up, with or without the alt_enter format. It sounds like I have
installation or graphics problems with install of Excel. Thanks for your
thoughts.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BlueRunner

More info. I checked the formatting of the cells that show-up vs. don't
show-up and for somereason Excel has checked the wrap-text text formatting on
certain cells. Those cells with wrap-text format (alt+enter) checked do not
appear as text, just a blank cell. Any new data entered with the alt+enter
format also show-up as blank. Not sure what to do...

"pinmaster" wrote:

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you widen the column and increase the rowheight, then select a few cells in
that area (including the troublesome cell), do you see the text in the cell?

If the cell were formatted as white on white, you could see it that way.

I don't have another guess on top of those others.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. And you're right, it is difficult to
guess sometimes, I just wish more people would follow up on their post
and then leave feedback for others to benefit.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498916

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

A couple of other things to test...

#1. Select the cell
edit|clear|All
test it out.

If it works there, then you missed one of the formatting suggestions.

#2. Try opening excel in Safe mode:
close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
Click on the new icon

Test it out.

Opening excel in safe mode stops a lot of things from getting loaded--template
files, addins, macros...