Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formulas

I have a work sheet that contains a variety of columns. Three columns are of
interest. The first, say A, contains years (2006, 2005, 2004 etc.). The
second column, B, contains Names (Jim, Dick, Bob etc.). The third column, C,
contains a numbers. What I need to do, but I'm having problems figuring it
out is, I want to add the values of column C that meet the criteria of each
column A and B. For example I want to add all the values of C that are 2006
(column A) AND Jim (column B).

I've been playing around with formulas but I haven't managed to figure it
out with trying to match the two columns. If anyone could help or has any
ideas I would appreciate any direction I could get.

Thank you in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Kuunders

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$3:$A$15=$A1),--($B$3:$B$15=B$1),$C$3:$C$15)
enter 2006 in cell a1 and Jim in cell b1
note the area's need to be sized the same i.e. 3 to 15 for this example.

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Use the sumproduct function. This acts like the SUMIF function, but uses two
qualifiers.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A3=2005),--(B1:B3="Jim"),C1:C3)

"R" wrote:

I have a work sheet that contains a variety of columns. Three columns are of
interest. The first, say A, contains years (2006, 2005, 2004 etc.). The
second column, B, contains Names (Jim, Dick, Bob etc.). The third column, C,
contains a numbers. What I need to do, but I'm having problems figuring it
out is, I want to add the values of column C that meet the criteria of each
column A and B. For example I want to add all the values of C that are 2006
(column A) AND Jim (column B).

I've been playing around with formulas but I haven't managed to figure it
out with trying to match the two columns. If anyone could help or has any
ideas I would appreciate any direction I could get.

Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

You need this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=2006),--(B1:B100="Jim")*C1:C100)

Replace the 2006 with a cell containing that search value
and do the same with "Jim"

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848