Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ChemistB

Default Page Numbers W/i Spreadsheet

I import data into a spreadsheet so there is no way of knowing before
hand how many pages the sheet will be. I also do not use the Footer
because of its lack of security. Is there a way to have page numbers
inbedded into the sheet itself? I was hoping to use Excels ability to
repeat rows on each page and put a page number function in one of the
cells in that row but there is no such function. Ideally, I'd like
page a of b. Thanks in advance

--
ChemistB
ChemistB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12741

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

Would you care to share with me exactly what concerns you have with using
the footer, as it pertains to security?

RD

"ChemistB" wrote in
message ...

I import data into a spreadsheet so there is no way of knowing before
hand how many pages the sheet will be. I also do not use the Footer
because of its lack of security. Is there a way to have page numbers
inbedded into the sheet itself? I was hoping to use Excels ability to
repeat rows on each page and put a page number function in one of the
cells in that row but there is no such function. Ideally, I'd like
page a of b. Thanks in advance

--
ChemistB
ChemistB's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498379

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ChemistB

I work in a Federally regulated environment. The Header and footer are
open to change even when the workbook and sheets are password
protected. The only solution I see is to embed the footer information
directly into the spreadsheet.

Bill Gates should also make it possible for the author of a spreadsheet
to lock in the header/footer information and the Spreadsheet options.
:-/

--
ChemistB
ChemistB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12741
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498379

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

<<<"The Header and footer are open to change even when the workbook and
sheets are password
protected."

That's *not* true.

You can protect the WB from even being *opened* without a password if you
choose.

RD

"ChemistB" wrote in
message ...

I work in a Federally regulated environment. The Header and footer are
open to change even when the workbook and sheets are password
protected. The only solution I see is to embed the footer information
directly into the spreadsheet.

Bill Gates should also make it possible for the author of a spreadsheet
to lock in the header/footer information and the Spreadsheet options.
:-/

--
ChemistB
ChemistB's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498379

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'm betting that ChemistB meant Tools|Protection|protect workbook--not the
file|SaveAs|Tools protection.

RagDyer wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

One way around it (if you know macros are enabled and events are enabled) is to
plop the header/footer information into each worksheet using the
workbook_beforeprint event.

But this isn't foolproof, either.

ChemistB wrote:

I work in a Federally regulated environment. The Header and footer are
open to change even when the workbook and sheets are password
protected. The only solution I see is to embed the footer information
directly into the spreadsheet.

Bill Gates should also make it possible for the author of a spreadsheet
to lock in the header/footer information and the Spreadsheet options.
:-/

--
ChemistB
ChemistB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12741
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498379

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ChemistB

Thanks Dave. Yes, I am talking about protecting what the document
prints out, I don't want to prevent people from using it, or inputting
data. I'm worried about people maliciously altering items in the
header or footer before printing (i.e. date printed if they are filling
out the form late or Version number). Most of these things are easily
imbedding into the spreadsheet itself except for page numbering. I
will look at the workbook_before event. I have a limited knowledge of
Visual Basic but am learning.

Thanks again

Brian