Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bigexcelfan

Default Numeric reference of column. Data Grab ?

I have one column A with sites names and next 33 columns with site
categories

In each line i put an "x" mark at the proper column(category) that the
site belongs

I want to put a column in the column beside site's name and receive the
description of each category

The description of each category is the heading of each column ( row 1
)

vlookup or hlookup didn't work. I used match MATCH("x";B2:AH2;FALSE)
and i got the column where the x is located in numeric format

Can you suggest a solution to this ?

Thanks

--
bigexcelfan
bigexcelfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30119

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Try:

=INDEX($B$1:$AH$1,MATCH("x",B2:AH2,0))

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ShaunM

Hi

I think this will work

=INDEX($C$1:$AH$1,,MATCH("x",C2:AH2,FALSE))

But it looks like PinMaster beat me to it

Regards
Shaun

--
ShaunM
ShaunM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18610

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bigexcelfan

pinmaster & ShaunM thanks. Your solution worked perfectly