Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JDGuin

Default Excel is doing something I've never seen it do before

I am using Excel 2000.

I want to use the same formula, with dynamic referencing of cells (i.e., the
cell references in the formula change, depending on the row the formula is
in). I've been doing this for years, and never had a problem.

However, recently, when I do this, the formula copies to the new cell and
changes as expected -- yet the value displayed in the new cell (to which I've
just copied the formuia) is identical to the value displayed in the cell from
which I've copied the formula! There is no correspondence between the formula
in the new cell and the value displayed! It's as if the program copied the
value rather than the formula -- yet, the formula did copy, with the dynamic
adjustments.

This is totally freaky. The first time I saw this, a few days ago, I thought
the problem might be related to a lack of memory. I rebooted, and that did
seem to take care of the problem. However, today, rebooting had no effect.

If I type the formula manually into each cell, instead of copy & paste,
there's no problem. But this is not a practical solution.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

It sounds to me like your Calculations have been switched from Automatic to
Manual. Try this:

Tools
Calculation Tab
Check the option for "Automatic"
OK

HTH,
Elkar

"JDGuin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JDGuin

Hi, Elkar,

Thanks for the feedback.

I checked the tab as you suggested, and Automatic was selected.

Since writing for help, I've discovered something else. If I change the
value in a cell that is referenced by the formula in another cell, the
formula does not recalculate automatically.

Is it time to reinstall yet?

"JDGuin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JDGuin

Elkar,

I tried what you suggested, and it worked. (The reason I've already posted a
resposne that said it didn't was ... I tried it on the wrong worksheet! D-uh
.....)

Where would I be without all you geniuses to turn to.

Thanks so much.

"JDGuin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

No, it just got reset somehow. Excel takes the calculation mode of the first
workbook opened, so if you started with that mode, it remains until changed
back.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips