Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peppermint

Default Excel 2003 - Rounding Up

How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chanin

Click Tools menu,
choose Options
Choose Calculation tab
Check "Precision as Displayed"

How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Excel does *not* round up, unless you tell it to so in the formula, like
with the ROUNDUP() function.
It may seem that it rounds (not UP, just plain round); because no more
digits fit in the column width or because you told Excel (via Formatting)
not display more than a certain number of digits.
"In the background" there is still an unrounded number.
If this does not solve your problem or answer your question, post again in
this same thread.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Peppermint" wrote in message
How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"chanin" wrote:
Click Tools menu, choose Options
Choose Calculation tab [;] Check "Precision as Displayed"

That does __not__ cause Excel "not to round up when it
calculates", as the OP requested.

For example, suppose B1 contains 0.0025 formatted as
Number with 4 decimal places, and A1 contains =2*B1
formatted as Number with 2 decimal places. A1 will
display 0.01, which is the rounded value of 0.005 (2*0.0025).

Of course, who knows what the OP truly wants. But to me,
"not round up when it calculates" means the equivalent of
ROUNDDOWN(2*B1,2) -- 0.00 in this example.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Peppermint" wrote:
How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

Your words are ambiguous since, for example, Excel does
__not__ round "up" automatically.

I suggest that you post some specific examples; that is,
what cells or numbers are involved in the calculation, and
what result would like to see. Be sure to include some
"corner cases" so that your intent it clear.

Generally, you can force Excel to round the result down,
up or to the nearest decimal place. Use the Help to read
about ROUNDDOWN(), ROUNDUP() and ROUND(). If
those do mean your needs, take a look at some functions
in the See Also list.