Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miss Dedly

Default How do i number a list of data in excel 2003?

I was shown once, but I can't remember how it was done. I have a list of 5000
things and I need to number then 1-5000, but don't want to go through all
5000. I have seen it done where you type the first few like 1-7 and then use
a shortcut and drag it down the rest of the list and the numbers will
populate. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

You can try something like this:

=IF(B1="","",COUNTA($B$1:B1)
copy down....or if there are no gabs in your list simply double click
on the lower right corner of the cell.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

I think you might be referring to Edit | Fill. Type your first entry
(1) in the first cell of a blank column. Highlight that cell down to
5000. Select Edit | Fill | Series, and you will need Linear with a Step
Value of 1. Click OK and your rows will be numbered.

You could also use the formula =ROW() and copy down, then fix the
values with <copy Edit | Paste Special | Values | OK then <esc or
<enter.

Hope this helps

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miss Dedly

YAY!!!
thats what it was, drag the little box in the bottom right corner!!
THANKS!