Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
René

Default 2 versions of Excel

Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann

I have read in the NG's that it is OK to have more than one version on a
computer as long as they are in different folders. (Not that I could afford
to test it out!)

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

There are no problems running multiple versions (I have 97, 2000 and XP on
this machine), but you should install your primary version last, so that
defaults when an xls file is clicked.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous

version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

On my previous PC I had both XL97 and XL2000, as I elected to keep 97
when I installed 2000. The only problem I recall is that csv files were
read by the 97 version rather than 2000 when I double-clicked them to
open them. It wasn't a major problem, and I could probably have fixed
it in the file associations table.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Information about running multiple versions of Office with Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956/

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hank Scorpio

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:41:03 -0800, "René"
wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

It can be done, but MS don't recommend it. One thing you WILL need to
do is uninstall 2003 first, and then install the older version, then
reinstall 2003. This ensures that the latest libraries and such are
loaded. For further details see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=off2003

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Glad I could help. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"René" wrote in message
Thanks!

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions
of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob,
Is it possible to reverse the default version that opens up when an xls file
is clicked? I read the following "With Office 97, Office 2000, or Office XP,
if no version of the program where the document was created is running, the
document opens in the version of the program that you most recently
installed." from the following support article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956/

I have MS Office 2003 installed and a trial version of MS Office 2007 and it
defaults to opening up xls files in 2007. I would prefer to default to 2003
instead. Is this possible?
thanks!

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous

version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't say that I have studied it explicitly, but my recollections concur
with that statement. If I have 2003 started, my 2003 files start in 2003. If
not, they open in 2007. But I have also noticed that if I have 2003 open and
I try to open a 2007 file, even with its xlsm file extension, it errors as
an incompatible file. I would have expected it to start 2007.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous

version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions
of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instead of reinstalling xl2003, try reregistering it:

Close excel
windows start button|run
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2003\excel.exe" /regserver

reregistering xl2003 should make it the last version installed.

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous

version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great thanks for the idea.

It didn't initially work with your initiall suggestion of:
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2003\excel.exe" /regserver

So I researched the boards and it looked like you gave similar advice to use
"excel /regserver". I was worried because I wasn't sure which version it
would reregister, but it ended up reregistering 2003 and now all my files
default to opening in 2003.

Thank you!

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you got lucky.

You were supposed to change:
C:\yourpathtoexcel2003
to the actual path that held xl2003's excel.exe

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ah, I didn't clarify that in my last message...I did use the actual folder
path to the xl2003 file. still didn't work. ??
Glad I lucked out with the right version. thanks.

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not letting this dead horse go! <vbg.

I'm gonna guess that you made a typo when you ran the command with the real
path. Maybe you didn't include the double quotes surrounding the path (required
if the path contains spaces). Maybe you didn't include the space before the
/regserver portion.

"René" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
René

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ha ha ok....

I don't think the path had a typo. I didn't hand-type in the path name, I
copied it exactly from the file preferences reference.

I didn't include the quotes, but I just went back and looked and the path
does not contain any spaces (but maybe I accidentally included a space by
accident).

Yep -- included that space before the /regserver (I copied it right from
your example)

I'm guessing it was my human error somewhere in creating that run sequence!

"RenÃÆÀšÃ‚©" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous
version
of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003.
Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of
Excel on the same computer?

Greetings
RenÃÆÀšÃ‚©

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

in fact you do need to put the quotes in. so your run text will look
like this;

"c:\blah blah\excel.exe" /regserver

hope it helps