Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bluejay

Default cell color

In EXCEL, I want to change the cell color to reflect the text value. Like if
the cell contains "John", I want the cell color to be green, if "Bob", the
cell color to be Blue, if "Frank", purple, if "Joe", red, etc. I want to be
able to display about 18 different colors. Conditional Formatting has a
limitation of three if conditions. Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tmack2511

"bluejay" wrote:

In EXCEL, I want to change the cell color to reflect the text value. Like if
the cell contains "John", I want the cell color to be green, if "Bob", the
cell color to be Blue, if "Frank", purple, if "Joe", red, etc. I want to be
able to display about 18 different colors. Conditional Formatting has a
limitation of three if conditions. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried "if"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OZDOC1050

Sub colourme18x()
For Each cell In Range("a1:a555")
If cell.Value = "fred" Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 35
If cell.Value = "bob" Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 37
If cell.Value = "frank" Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 39
Next
End Sub

continue to suit and adjust range where needed, record a macro if you to, to
get colour codes
cheers
Pete

--
(][ THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS ][)
"bluejay" <u17219@uwe wrote in message news:59c893e469d7a@uwe...
In EXCEL, I want to change the cell color to reflect the text value. Like
if
the cell contains "John", I want the cell color to be green, if "Bob", the
cell color to be Blue, if "Frank", purple, if "Joe", red, etc. I want to
be
able to display about 18 different colors. Conditional Formatting has a
limitation of three if conditions. Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

You can use cell conditional formatting

condition1: Cell Value is Equal To John