Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Danny J

Default sorting and protection

Hi folks,

Anyone know of a way I can prevent people selecting a whole column when they
sort? the problem is that when people do this the surnames become separated
from the first names. I realise this can be overcome by clicking in a cell
rather than selecting a column, so I wolud like to make selecting more than
1 cell for a sort impossible. To compound matters I cannot protect the
whole sheet as people need to put in info.

Help!

Many thanks,

Danny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think it's more of a training issue.

But for the most part, I try to make sure I select my complete range (all the
columns), then use data|sort. I do my best not to let excel guess at ranges to
sort, pivot, subtotal, chart, filter, ...

On the other hand, maybe you could give the users a Userform (or even Data|form)
to enter data. Your macro could unprotect the worksheet, give the users
something to use to enter the values, then reprotect the worksheet.

You could even give the user a macro to sort the range, too.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Danny J