Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JasonC

Default Counting Cells with Conditional Formatting

Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
number?

None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.: "S" or "U"

I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
specific row, if that makes more sense.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Here's a UDF (Put in a Standard module)

and use it in cell A1, like =CountByColor(A8:H8,6) << where 6 (at
present) = Yellow = change to =CountByColor(A8:H8,3) to get the reds
HTH

Function CountByColor(InRange As Range, WhatColorIndex As Integer) As Long
'
Dim c As Range
CountByColor = 0
Application.Volatile True
For Each c In InRange.Cells
If c.Interior.ColorIndex = WhatColorIndex Then
TCount = TCount + 1
End If
Next c
CountByColor = TCount
End Function

"JasonC" wrote:

Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
number?

None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.: "S" or "U"

I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
specific row, if that makes more sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Jason:

I just noticed that my solution is not based on the use of conditional
formatting,
but rather based on your manually painting the cells. I now realize that
you are
using CF to get the colors red or yellow. Can you provide me a sample of your
conditional formatting settings? Meanwhile I'll see if I can correct and
resubmit
what you want.
Jim

"JasonC" wrote:

Jim,

I can't seem to get it to work. I have the file with me. Could I send it to
you and you set it up for me?

JasonC

Thanks,

JasonC

"JasonC" wrote:

Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
number?

None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.: "S" or "U"

I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
specific row, if that makes more sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JasonC

My Conditional Formatting goes like this:

Condition 1:
Cell Value is Equal to: =B$36
Format with Yellow Cell Shading

Condition 2:
Cell Value is - Not Equal to: =B$36
Format with Red Cell Shading

"JasonC" wrote:

Is there a way to look at a row of data that is either highlighted yellow or
red and to count only the data that is highlighted yellow and give me that
number?

None of my data is numerical....just one letter data, i.e.: "S" or "U"

I just want to count how many of the cells are highlighted yellow in a
specific row, if that makes more sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Herbert Seidenberg

One way of turning conditional formatting into regular formatting
is to copy your data array to Word, and then bring it back to Excel.

Another, harder way is to make a copy to another location in your
workbook,
write your conditional formulas as number generating formulas and
Find (number), Replace (format) and
Copy, Paste Special, Format to the original array.