Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Scott

Default Number of employees working at given time

I have a list of employees and the time they start and end working each day.
They cover all three shifts and various days. Not every employee works every
day. Using Excel 2003, can I determine the number of employees working each
hour for each day using just their start and end times for the day? Meaning,
I need to know how many employees are working between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM on
Wednesday.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

You can use the sumproduct function count the number of employees working.
If the employees' start times are in B2:B3 and stop times are in C2:C3, with
the time of interest in cell E2, then
=SUMPRODUCT(--($E$2=B2:B3)*--($E$2<C2:C3)) will tell you how many employees
are working.
--Bruce
(For an explanation of how that works, check
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html)