Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David12345

Default COMAddins and AutomationAddins

Does anyone know how the computer knows the difference between a COMAdd-in
and an AutomationAddin. The computer knows the difference because it puts an
entry for COMAddin in the register
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins but it puts an entry for an
AutomationAddin in the register
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Add-in Manager (if not loaded) and
in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options (if loaded). How does
the computer know to register the COMAddin in a different place from the
AutomationAddin?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David12345

Thank you for your reply but I do not follow. I am not an expert in Excel
but both my ComAddins and my AutomationAddins have extensions .dll as they
are both ActiveX DLLs with a Designer Class (called initially Connect)
(compiled using VB6.0) .