Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tracy

Default IF Statement

Hello all!
I need help on writing a CountIF statement for the following: I want a total
count of serial numbers in column B that have discontinue in column E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Try this array formula:

=SUM(IF((E1:E100="discontinue")*(B1:B1000),1))

entered using SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tracy

The SUMPRODUCT worked. Thanks Elkar!

"Elkar" wrote:

Depending on your needs, there are a couple different solutions he

Use this first one if you just want a count of how many times "discontinue"
appears in column E.

=COUNTIF(E1:E100,"discontinue")

Use this second one if you want a count of lines in which both a serial
number appears in column B and "discontinue" appears in column E.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100<""),--(E1:E100="discontinue"))

And of course, adjust the cell references to your needs. I just assumed
rows 1 through 100 for the examples.

HTH,
Elkar