Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Labore

Default cant open for workbook editing

Hi

I have a workbook that contains a query that pulls data into a worksheet
then 2 pivot tables that work with the data. The query and pivot update
upon opening the workbook. The problem I am having is there is some error
causing excel to crash every time I try to open the file. I cant get the
file open to even edit it or look at it to figure at what is wrong. Also I
am not sure if the problem is with the query or pivot table. I am assuming
its probably the pivot table.

Is there a way to open an excel workbook ONLY FOR EDITING?

I checked the query which excel uses and that seems to work fine from
Access. There is not that much data (about 1500 lines or so , and only 2
cols of data with the query) then the addition cols in the worksheet are
calculated from those 2 cols (5 additional cols or 7 cols total) for the
pivot tables.

I am using OFFICE 2000. When I open the workbook it seems to be going fine
as its scrolls messages as loads data and updates cells but gets appears to
get hung at some point and then excel crashes and gets the normal XP (Home
ed) message that "Send report or not to MS"

The only thing I can think of is that is there is more data than last time
or maybe there is something in the data that excel doesn't like? Could the
workbook itself be corrupt? What are my possible solutions (other than
writing the entire workbook over) I could write it over if I have to but I
thought there might be a way around and I want sure what the cause of the
problem was.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Just some thoughts........

Maybe you might can find an old or archive copy of the file that "will"
run........

Or, if you know the names of any file(s) it is trying to access, then maybe
you can check them and their existance......

If you are trying to open the file from Explorer, then try opening Excel
first and then opening the file from there........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Kevin Labore" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Labore

HI

it was a recent file (less than week old) so it was not in my weekly backup
and my nightly backup had same problem
Also I tried repair Office and that didnt seem to help.
And I used Norton to fix any window problems and that didnt help.

I thought there would be a way to open a Workbook and not load anything
(sort of like windows safe boot mode)
I will just re-write it --- its not more than 2 hours worth of work.Mostly
to formating but it would be nice to know for the future so I would know
what to do

thanks for response.

Kevin

"Kevin Labore" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

You might try opening a new workbook, and in cell A1 put this formula and
copy it over and down to fill the page....see if you get anything....

='C:\[YourFilename.xls]Sheet1'!A1

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3