Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
teepee

Default Pivot question

Hello - may I prevail on your collective knowledge please to solve a
problem?

I currently have a pivot table which takes 6 data entry columns, tables the
first entry vertical, the second horizontal, and puts the last 4 in the main
body of the table, counting their incidence in relation to the first 2. A
pretty bog standard pivot table in fact.

My problem is this. In order to use a certain procedure, I have to rewrite
this process to achieve the same end without using a pivot to get there. The
authors of the procedure assure me it can be done using other data filtering
functions within Excel but they don't say how. Anyone got any idea?

Thank in advance

teepee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bob777

Please give an example of your data - I personally cannot yet understand
what you are asking.

Bobf

--
bob777
bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28504

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Roger Govier

Hi

With your data on Sheet1, in a range from say A1:F100, with A1:F1 holding
the headers, set up a table on Sheet2 with unique values from Sheet1 column
A in cells A2:An, unique values from Column B of Sheet1 in cells B1:?1
(n represents the last row number, ? represents the last column letter)

then in cell B2 of sheet2 enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet1$B$2:$B$100=B$1),--(Sheet1!C$2:C$100<""))
Copy across for the width of the column headings created.
Copy the whole row of formulae down for the extent of the entries in column
A of Sheet2

You would then need to repeat the block from column B to column ?, 3 more
times to represent each of the remaining 4 columns of data from Sheet1, but
changing the last part of the sumproduct formula to Sheet1!$D$2:$D$100,
E2:E100, and F2:F100 respectively.

If you wanted to make the table smaller and aggregate the count for all 4
columns of data, then change the formula to
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet1$B$2:$B$100=B$1),--(Sheet1!C$2:F$100<""))

Regards

Roger Govier

teepee wrote:
Hello - may I prevail on your collective knowledge please to solve a
problem?

I currently have a pivot table which takes 6 data entry columns, tables the
first entry vertical, the second horizontal, and puts the last 4 in the main
body of the table, counting their incidence in relation to the first 2. A
pretty bog standard pivot table in fact.

My problem is this. In order to use a certain procedure, I have to rewrite
this process to achieve the same end without using a pivot to get there. The
authors of the procedure assure me it can be done using other data filtering
functions within Excel but they don't say how. Anyone got any idea?

Thank in advance

teepee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
teepee

"Roger Govier" wrote

With your data on Sheet1, in a range from say A1:F100, with A1:F1 holding
the headers, set up a table on Sheet2 with unique values from Sheet1

It says you can only copy filtered data onto the active sheet 8-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Debra Dalgleish

To extract the data to a different sheet, start the Advanced Filter from
the destination sheet, as described he

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

teepee wrote:
"Roger Govier" wrote

With your data on Sheet1, in a range from say A1:F100, with A1:F1 holding
the headers, set up a table on Sheet2 with unique values from Sheet1

It says you can only copy filtered data onto the active sheet 8-(

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
teepee

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote

To extract the data to a different sheet, start the Advanced Filter from
the destination sheet, as described he

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

Thanks - I'm now told for the same reason I can't use pivot with the
software I'm employing, it won't recognise advanced filter either, so I
have to use arrays on their own 8-(

Back to the drawing board