Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bembaman

Default stream read error

I have a small excel file (200k) which worked fine until i changed the
file name (I cannot remember the original name as it was just letters
and numbers which was the reason for changing the name!). Now it will
not open and upon trying several Excel recovery programs some of them
told me it was a stream read error' and the recovery failed. Any advice
or is this file a write off?

--
bembaman
bembaman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29865

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob_F_Roecker

Although I haven't run accross this error yet I do have an idea that may help
save some of the data.

Try starting with a new workbook and then import the data as though it were
external.

To do that go to DATA-- IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA -- IMPORT DATA

Then select the file and it should hopefully read it.

Since I haven't seen the error I'm really curious if this works or not so
please let me know.

-Jacob F. Roecker

"bembaman" wrote:

I have a small excel file (200k) which worked fine until i changed the
file name (I cannot remember the original name as it was just letters
and numbers which was the reason for changing the name!). Now it will
not open and upon trying several Excel recovery programs some of them
told me it was a stream read error' and the recovery failed. Any advice
or is this file a write off?

--
bembaman
bembaman's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495696

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bembaman

Jacob,

Thanks, good idea. Unfortunately it did not work.

--
bembaman
bembaman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29865
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495696

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

b,

If the file is on floppy or cd, copy the file to your hard drive and
then try opening it.
I would also try renaming to something different and see if it opens.
The "Open Office" application can sometimes open files that Excel won't.
It is free but a very large download...
http://www.openoffice.org/

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA