Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
criticalpath

Default How do I change the cell padding in excel?

I need to add white space to each row of a spreadsheet where height is
auto-adjusted. A feixed row height will not work here. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

You want the whitespace at the top or bottom of the cells?

To maintain Autofit and have whitespace you can add an ALT + ENTER ahead of or
behind the text.

Try this.

Select a cell with autofit row.

F2 to edit.

Point to start of text and hit ALT + ENTER to add a blank line.

Also make sure the cell is set to "Wrap Text"

If you have a great whack to do, a macro could be provided.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:17:02 -0800, criticalpath
wrote:

I need to add white space to each row of a spreadsheet where height is
auto-adjusted. A feixed row height will not work here. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Desert Piranha

Hi Gord,
Would you pease tell me what is a "great whack"?
I'm not trying to be rude, i really don't know.
thx
Dave

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

A large number of cells to deal with is a "great whack".

2 is a couple
3-5 is a few
6-9 is several
10-15 is a bunch
16 and over is a great whack

Adding the line feed is a manual cell by cell operation and could take a
while.

A macro could add a line feed to all cells in a selection with the click of a
button or shortcut key combo.

Gord

wrote:

I need to add white space to each row of a spreadsheet where height

is
auto-adjusted. A feixed row height will not work here. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Desert Piranha

Hi Gord,
Thx for the enlightenment on the "great whack". Very interesting. :)
Thx again
Dave

wrote:

I need to add white space to each row of a spreadsheet where

height
is
auto-adjusted. A feixed row height will not work here. Please

help!

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
suzubeane

Is there are way to do this without adding a whole line? I just want my
text to NOT sit right on the bottom border line of the cell. I don't
want to add a whole line to do that.

FWIW, my rows are going to be all different sizes. I want to be able to
auto size them without having to edit cells or add lines. If you can
"indent" cells from the left automatically in "cell formatting," can't
you dictate how much space appears at the bottom?

Also, I have a great whack to do! ;)

Thoughts, anyone?

--
suzubeane
suzubeane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30835

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

If you just want them centred vertically

Highlight rang of cells
Right click
Formatalignmentverticalcenter

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
suzubeane

Thanks Ed, but I don't want them centered vertically. I want them to be
aligned at the top, and I want the cells to automatically adjust for
hight. I also want the lowest line of text to not be sitting *right on*
the black line that separates the cells.

FWIW, when I tried centering them vertically, the cells that have the
most text wrpaped in them (and the most rows of text per cell) *still*
had the lowest line of text sitting on the black line.

--
suzubeane
suzubeane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30835
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

Hi suzubeane,

I've been out the office for a few days.

I think you have a problem. I don't consider myself an expert but the
problem you describe is one I have come across before where rows have
varying amounts of text. The only way I know of getting the result you
want is by manually adjusting in the row headers or setting the row
height to the greatest size you expect - that may mean a lot of white
space surrounding some entries.

Alternatively, if you set the line height to an acceptable average,
then you would only have to alter the exceptions.

HTH

Ed