Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LCDawn

Default How do I change a social security number to a number series?

I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social security
numbers and change the display to be a number series. Some of the numbers
begin with 0. I'd like to have all the dashes removed as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Billigmeier

So do you want to keep the 0's appended on the front? If so, use:

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""),"000000000")

If not (you want the 0's in front of the number to be taken out) use:

=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

Dave

"LCDawn" wrote:

I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social security
numbers and change the display to be a number series. Some of the numbers
begin with 0. I'd like to have all the dashes removed as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Let's say the numbers are text in the form:

'123-456-7890

Select the cells (columns or rows) and pull-down
Edit Find and enter the - then replace with nothing

The leading apostrophe will insure that leading zeros are retained
--
Gary''s Student

"LCDawn" wrote:

I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social security
numbers and change the display to be a number series. Some of the numbers
begin with 0. I'd like to have all the dashes removed as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:45:03 -0800, LCDawn
wrote:

I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social security
numbers and change the display to be a number series. Some of the numbers
begin with 0. I'd like to have all the dashes removed as well.

Assuming the values are TEXT and not formatted numbers, then:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

will return the string, with the leading zeros.

If you do not want the leading zeros, then

=--SUBSTITUTE(A20,"-","")

will convert the value into a number, and you can format it as you wish.

You could also use FIND/REPLACE to replace the "-"'s with nothing.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LCDawn

You're Awesome, Dave...!