Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NewKid

Default Text to Columns

I have a list of names that were split across 3 columns using the text to
columns feature. Does anyone know of an EASY way to tell Excel to move a
name into the third position if it is blank?

Example:
A B C
1 LastName MiddleInitial FirstName
2 Smith J Daniel
3 Taylor David
4 Pearson Tony

I have thousands of records and would like to find a way to quickly move
contents from the 2nd column to the 3rd IF that 3rd column is blank.

Idea's anyone?
Thanks!
NewKid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

In cell D2 put the following formula and copy it down as many rows as you
have data in columns A and B....

=IF(C2="",B2,C2)

Then do Copy PasteSpecial Values on the column D and delete the old
column C.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"NewKid" wrote in message
I have a list of names that were split across 3 columns using the text to
columns feature. Does anyone know of an EASY way to tell Excel to move a
name into the third position if it is blank?

Example:
A B C
1 LastName MiddleInitial FirstName
2 Smith J Daniel
3 Taylor David
4 Pearson Tony

I have thousands of records and would like to find a way to quickly move
contents from the 2nd column to the 3rd IF that 3rd column is blank.

Idea's anyone?
Thanks!
NewKid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NewKid

Thank you SO much! I should have thought of that! That is awesome.
Thanks again!!
NewKid.

"NewKid" wrote in message
I have a list of names that were split across 3 columns using the text to
columns feature. Does anyone know of an EASY way to tell Excel to move a
name into the third position if it is blank?

Example:
A B C
1 LastName MiddleInitial FirstName
2 Smith J Daniel
3 Taylor David
4 Pearson Tony

I have thousands of records and would like to find a way to quickly move
contents from the 2nd column to the 3rd IF that 3rd column is blank.

Idea's anyone?
Thanks!
NewKid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

You're quite welcome, thanks for the feedback......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3