Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Zack

Default Open an excel file but it does not display

I maen you can not see it. This is only happening with one file. I do not
get any error message. It opens excel (or if I do from excel it "appears to
be opening" ) - it has a password and YES I am sure I know it and excel
accepts it. Excel ask if I want read-only and it does not matter whether I
say yes or no.

In excel the file is listed under the File menu, but not under the Window
menu. When I close excel it asks if I want to save changes for this file,
which I have done nothing to!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Can you do window|Unhide?
(Maybe it opens hidden??)

If that doesn't work, you can double check that it actually opened by:
1. Go into the VBE (use alt-f11)
2. Hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer
3. If you don't see something that looks like your filename, then it's not
open.
It may look like:
VBAProject (YourFileNameHere.xls)
(If it's open)

===
I'm betting that the window was hidden by mistake.

And this is a normal .xls file--not an addin (.xla), right?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Zack

Fred Zack wrote:

I maen you can not see it. This is only happening with one file. I do not
get any error message. It opens excel (or if I do from excel it "appears to
be opening" ) - it has a password and YES I am sure I know it and excel
accepts it. Excel ask if I want read-only and it does not matter whether I
say yes or no.

In excel the file is listed under the File menu, but not under the Window
menu. When I close excel it asks if I want to save changes for this file,
which I have done nothing to!

--

Dave Peterson

Well it was hidden in Excel. I had checked this under Attributes in the
Properties menu item when you left click file anme in windows explorer.
Hidden was not checked there! But when I did unhide form excel it appeared.
Guess Properties does not have it right!

Thanks, Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You can hide a file from showing up in windows explorer by using that file's
property (outside of excel).

Actually, you can mark the file (using windows explorer) as being hidden, but if
the user chooses to show hidden files, they can.

This hidden property for files is separate and distinct from Window|hide in
excel.