Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
leo

Default how do i mail a macro in my personnel macro workbook

i have a lot of macros that i want to email to other people in my company.
the macros are all in my personnel workbook. How do i email them?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you have macros that you want to make available to others, then put them into
a workbook, but don't save it as personal.xls (or personal.xla).

You can only have one workbook open that has the name of personal.xls and if any
in your audience is already using personal.xls for their own stuff, it'll cause
heartache and pain. They'll have to decide to keep yours or keep their own.

Instead, you can use a different name (LeoUtils.xla, saved as an addin).

You could build the menu by using John Walkenbach's menumaker program:

Then you can share this addin in a couple of different ways.

If each user always has access to a common network folder, you could put it in
that folder and tell the users to install it via:
tools|Addins
and browse to that folder.

Then you have one file to keep up to date.

If the users don't always have access to that folder, you could send them the
..xla file and tell them to save it to a nice local (C: drive) location.

Then use tools|addins to browse for your addin.

If you're really industrious, you could even give them a small installation
program that they run to install the addin.

Jan Karel Pieterse has a nice install program included in the .zip file for his
(with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) name manager utility.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp/

And if you use names in any of your workbooks, keep that name manager utility.
It's very helpful.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Create a copy of Personal.xls and rename it to mymacros.xls.

Email this file as an attachment to others.

They can open it and copy the macros to their own Personal.xls or use it as is
by storing it in their XLSTART folder.

Alternative #1.........

Save a copy as an add-in and send that to others.

They can stick it in their Office\Library folder and load it through
ToolsAdd-ins.

Alternative #2.................

Copy the macros to a *.txt file and send that.

Alternative #3..................

Export each module as a *.bas file.

Send to others and they can import these to their own Personal.xls

There are other methods but this should get you started.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:13:02 -0800, leo wrote:

i have a lot of macros that i want to email to other people in my company.
the macros are all in my personnel workbook. How do i email them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
leo

i have about 10 macros in the personal.xls workbook. how do i copy that
workbook and rename it? i have to have personal open or my macros don't work
but when i look in the personal file itself i see nothing? where are the
macros?

to rename personal do i just go to explore, find it and then rename it?

then to email it i just make it an attachment provided the recipients will
work on the same files

leo wrote:

i have a lot of macros that i want to email to other people in my company.
the macros are all in my personnel workbook. How do i email them?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I would close excel.

Use windows explorer to rename personal.xls to LeoUtils.xls (still a workbook).

Then open excel. Since LeoUtils.xls is still in your XLStart folder, it'll open
as normal.

If it's hidden, unhide it via Window|unhide.

Then File|SaveAs
LeoUtils.xla
Make sure you choose Addin as the file type.
(I'd save it to my XLStart folder--but clean up stuff later)

Close excel.
Use windows explorer to go to your XLStart folder.

move leoutils.xls to a nice safe backup location (CD drive as well????).

Because LeoUtils is now an addin, the macros won't show up under
tools|macro|macros...

You'll have to give the user a way to access them--John Walkenbach's tip is what
I use. If you haven't done this, then do this first--right after you rename
personal.xls to LeoUtils.xls.

Remember to save often and make frequent backups.

Then you can share the workbook either via email or network drive. The end user
can use Tools|Addins or install the addin on their own C: drive (as an addin or
in their XLStart folder).

======
Why don't your macros show up in your personal.xls workbook? I'm guessing that
you're looking at the wrong location--but that's just a guess.

You may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: