Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Blissfully Ignorant

Default And new Pay Rates

I have a spreadsheet that calculates employees time. I input the employees
code in column C fields and hours in column D fields and it gives me there
pay totals. When I input a the employees code the rate that conincides with
that code automatically pops up in column F. I can change the amount of the
rate that comes up by going to another sheet in that workbook titled
"Parameters" and changing the dollar amounts on htat sheet. However if I try
to add a new code and payrate to the sheet it does not recognize it on the
Time Entry sheet. It comes up #N/A. There is also something that is unusual
with the parameters page. The codes that are already on the sheet are
aligned on the left side of the cell but there is no left justification for
it, and if I click on to a code and change the number, it jumps to the right
of the cell and then comes up #N/A. How can I add new rates?

Thanks for any help you are able to give.

By the way, the formula in the rate field on the Time Entry sheet is
=IF(C7="",0,VLOOKUP(C7,INDIRECT("EmployeeList"),2, FALSE))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Hi,

Try making your EmployeeList dynamic, check out

[url="http://www.cpearson.com/excel/named.htm"]

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Blissfully Ignorant

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

Try making your EmployeeList dynamic, check out

[url="http://www.cpearson.com/excel/named.htm"]

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494989

Why would the codes be indented to the left side of the cell but show under (right click, format) that it is "General"under alignment?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Hi, left indent usually indicates text, is it possible that those
numbers were entered with an apostrophe in front of them???? Select one
of them and check the formula bar.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Question - why does your formual use the INDIRECT function??

why not just:

=IF(C7="",0,VLOOKUP(C7,EmployeeList,2, 0))

just curious!
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494989

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Blissfully Ignorant

"pinmaster" wrote:

Question - why does your formual use the INDIRECT function??

why not just:

=IF(C7="",0,VLOOKUP(C7,EmployeeList,2, 0))

just curious!
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494989

I don't know. I didn't create the workbook. I took it over from someone who got fired. I looked and there is no apostrophe before the number codes. I checked the format and it is formatted as number and general alignment. Why the left indent?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

That is strange indeed.
Maybe some of the MVP's out there could tell you.

Regards
JG