Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
walkerdayle

Default Extracting Text in a string of text

Happy Holidays to All!

How do I extract a concatenated field so I have exactly what I need.
I've used the Left and Right functions, but I need to extract more
precisely without having to guess the number of characters. For
example:

New York, NY 10019 I want to extract out the "NY" or the state. How
do I do that given I may have multiple city and states?

Thanks for any help

--
walkerdayle
walkerdayle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10021

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

This will give you the 2 characters (state) that follows the comma:

=MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,2)

--

HTH,

RD

"walkerdayle"
wrote in message

Happy Holidays to All!

How do I extract a concatenated field so I have exactly what I need.
I've used the Left and Right functions, but I need to extract more
precisely without having to guess the number of characters. For
example:

New York, NY 10019 I want to extract out the "NY" or the state. How
do I do that given I may have multiple city and states?

Thanks for any help

--
walkerdayle
walkerdayle's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494602

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
walkerdayle

Thanks, I'll give it a try

--
walkerdayle
walkerdayle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10021
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494602

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
walkerdayle

Thank you so very much. One more question, how can I do the same, but
extracting the City only. For example, Bronx, NY 10451 or White
Plains, NY 10463? I've used the Left but it doesn't get the precise
name like White Plains.

Thanks

--
walkerdayle
walkerdayle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10021
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494602

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Billigmeier

Try:

=LEFT(A1,SEARCH(",",A1)-1)

Dave

"walkerdayle" wrote:

Thank you so very much. One more question, how can I do the same, but
extracting the City only. For example, Bronx, NY 10451 or White
Plains, NY 10463? I've used the Left but it doesn't get the precise
name like White Plains.

Thanks

--
walkerdayle