Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JohnHaslam

Default Using logic to change the fill in a cell

Hi all,

I'm still getting to grips with the finer points of Excel, and can't
work out whether the following is possible:

On my worksheet I have a "master" date, which is always today's date.
In other cells, other dates will appear. What I'm after is to put a
formula in these cells, so when a cell's date matches the "master" date
the colour fill of that cell changes to whatever I like. In effect, that
days' work would be flagged up at a glance.

As I say, I'm new to the formula / programming side of Excel so don't
even kow if this is possible - but can someone help me if it is?

Thanks,

John

--
JohnHaslam
JohnHaslam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29742

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cycling-rod

John, you can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell
when the cell matches the master date. See he
http://www.scottmanning.com/archives/000351.php for instructions, or
search using the keywords: conditional formatting excel

--
cycling-rod
cycling-rod's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=13520

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You need Conditional Formatting. Select one of the 'other' cells and go to
Format / Conditional Formatting. Set the first option to 'Formula is' and in
the next box enter:
=$A$1=B1
where your master date is in A1 and the 'other' cell you are in is B1. Then
you can set your format.
You can find some more info he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cformatting.htm

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"JohnHaslam" wrote
in message ...

Hi all,

I'm still getting to grips with the finer points of Excel, and can't
work out whether the following is possible:

On my worksheet I have a "master" date, which is always today's date.
In other cells, other dates will appear. What I'm after is to put a
formula in these cells, so when a cell's date matches the "master" date
the colour fill of that cell changes to whatever I like. In effect, that
days' work would be flagged up at a glance.

As I say, I'm new to the formula / programming side of Excel so don't
even kow if this is possible - but can someone help me if it is?

Thanks,

John

--
JohnHaslam