Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tara C.

Default Using VLOOKUP and text

I am using a Vlookup function to find dollar values, dates, and names of
vendors made within a department.
The dollar values are appearing correctly, but the dates appears as
"01/00/00" when the field is empty and all the text strings appear as "0"
even though there is a name in the source sheet.
I have changed the formatting of each cell to be correct to the appropriate
format (accountancy, date, text) and even tried 'general' to fix this text
problem to no avail.
HELP!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If A1 is empty, and you put this in B1: =a1
You'll see it returns a 0.

Same thing happens with your =vlookup()--but 0 formatted as a date is
January 0th, 1900 (or 01/00/00 in your format).

So you can modify the =vlookup() to check to see if the "sending" cell is empty:

=if(vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)="","",vlookup(a 1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

--

Dave Peterson