Sajid Siddique

Default How can I increas undo level in Microsoft EXCEL ?

Dear Sir/Madam,

By default there are only sixteen undo level in Microsoft Excel.But
i want to increas undo level more than sixteen. Please guide me how can i
solve this problem? I will be very graetful to you. Thank you.
Gord Dibben

John

See Dana's post.

Gord

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:55:21 -0700, JE McGimpsey wrote:

AFAIK, you can't.

In article ,
"Sajid Siddique" <Sajid wrote:

By default there are only sixteen undo level in Microsoft Excel.But
i want to increas undo level more than sixteen. Please guide me how can i
solve this problem? I will be very graetful to you. Thank you.

JE McGimpsey

In article ,
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

See Dana's post.

Glad I wrote AFAIK - I'd forgotten that if I ever knew it. Thanks!
Dana DeLouis

Hi JE. I've always thought that this was an odd ball one because "Excel
specifications and limits" says that the number of Undo levels is 16. One
would normally think of this as being fixed. I think I'll send a suggestion
to Microsoft to update "Excel specifications and limits" to say something
like "default is 16, see kb article Q211922 to change it. To bad there
isn't a Reg hack to increase the number of Columns beyond 256. :)

Just for discussion, I have experimented in the past by setting Undo
history to low values to see if there was any noticeable speed differences.
I didn't like setting it to 0 because it turned Undo off. I did not notice
any real timing differences by setting it to a low value of say 1-3. I did
have it set at 10 for awhile, but with Excel 2003, I'm back to the default
setting of 16.

This is one of the few references that talk about Undo while running a
macro...
"...This feature (Undo) is disabled for optimization and performance
when you run a macro. ..."

It would be interesting if the OP posted back on any noticeable performance
changes if he increases the Undo levels to a high number.

--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
In article ,
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

See Dana's post.

Glad I wrote AFAIK - I'd forgotten that if I ever knew it. Thanks!

JE McGimpsey

In article ,
"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

I've always thought that this was an odd ball one because "Excel
specifications and limits" says that the number of Undo levels is 16. One
would normally think of this as being fixed.

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever used 16 undo's so I'd never think
about increasing the number. Besides, I have enough event macros running
in most cases that depending on undo is largely irrelevant.

Just for discussion, I have experimented in the past by setting Undo
history to low values to see if there was any noticeable speed differences.
I didn't like setting it to 0 because it turned Undo off. I did not notice
any real timing differences by setting it to a low value of say 1-3. I did
have it set at 10 for awhile, but with Excel 2003, I'm back to the default
setting of 16.

I guess I wouldn't expect a big difference, especially since it applies
primarily to user actions. Depending on the mechanism used, I'd think it
would have a much bigger impact on memory - perhaps speeding up truly
massive workbooks. I'd expect a bigger difference with Word, for which
undo records macro actions as well.

Thanks for the info, Dana!