Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KGAR

Default What does it mean to have a file name followed by .xls:1 etc.?

I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
I open it. They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
..xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Those are multiple windows that view the same Excel file.
You create them by selecting WindowNew Window.

If you close the :2 window, the other will still be open (but the :1 will no
longer display)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"KGAR" wrote:

I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
I open it. They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
.xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

The last person to save the file had two windows open on the document; to
eliminate this (barring protection), close .xls:2, save file, close .xls:1.
Next file opening should be a single window document.

Matt7102

"KGAR" wrote:

I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when
I open it. They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other
.xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I like this to close windows I don't want.

Select the window I don't want.
hit ctrl-w
save the workbook the way I like (so I don't have to do it again)

--

Dave Peterson