Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
windsong

Default Excel 2003 - Autofilter Question

I need to use the Autofilter on the first column of data. However, each cell
in the first column is actually two cells (two rows merged), and it is not
filtering properly. e.g.

1962 Jane Doe 13 15 27
Hired xxxx 4 7 10
1974 John Smith 27 15 30
Hired xxxx 12 7 10

As you can see, there are two rows of data for each entry in the first
column. When I use Autofilter I only get the top line of data. How can I
change it so I get both rows of data when filtering on the first column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Don't use merged cells, I know of nobody that are beyond beginner that use
merged cells, it will (almost) always cause problems down the line and you
can get almost identical layout using other tricks. Since I never use merged
cells (if I work on a sheet that originally had them I take them off and fix
them) I don't know an answer except removing them and use for instance alt
enter for multiple lines in the same cell, center across selection to spread
text evenly over multiple cells

Peo Sjoblom

"windsong" wrote in message
I need to use the Autofilter on the first column of data. However, each

cell
in the first column is actually two cells (two rows merged), and it is not
filtering properly. e.g.

1962 Jane Doe 13 15 27
Hired xxxx 4 7 10
1974 John Smith 27 15 30
Hired xxxx 12 7 10

As you can see, there are two rows of data for each entry in the first
column. When I use Autofilter I only get the top line of data. How can I
change it so I get both rows of data when filtering on the first column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Wind

To keep the rows together you must have duplicate numbers in Column A

After unmerging the cells select column A and F5SpecialBlanksOK

In activecell enter an = sign then point to cell above and hit CTRL + ENTER.

CopyPaste SpecialValueOKEsc

Now filter for 1962 on column A

You will get both rows returned.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP