Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
whistler_z

Default Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others

I have an older excel file created by someone who is no longer with my
company. I want to use that file as a starting point to created another
file. The file is set up as "read only". If I try to change any of the
cells, I get the message that the "cell or chart is protected and therefore
read only" and further tells me to unprotect before attempting the change.
When I got to tools/protection/Unprotect Sheet I get the request for a
password. I don't know the password as the file was created by another. I
have tried "save as", from tools making sure there are no passwords, and
created a file with a new name but the protection is still there! Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Visit JE McGimpsey's site:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

whistler

Note: there are 3 types of Protection which can all be passworded.

1. WorkSheet protection from ToolsProtection
2. WorkBook protection from ToolsProtection
3. File protection from FileSave AsToolsGeneral Options(XL2002)

And a fourth one if you count Protection on a VBA Project

Which are you referring to?

If worksheet or workbook only, these are easy to crack.

File and VBA not so simple.

See John McGimpsey's site for instructions.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP