Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Confuddled User!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Am I stupid, or is it Excel???????

1. We have a list of numbers.
2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers
3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater
than the average.

This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these
are nested
as a single function Excel returns a zero value.

Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the
point of Excel completely.

Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero value.

Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Difficult to say without your formula!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Confuddled User!!!!!!!!!!!!!" <Confuddled
wrote in message
1. We have a list of numbers.
2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers
3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater
than the average.

This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these
are nested
as a single function Excel returns a zero value.

Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the
point of Excel completely.

Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero
value.

Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:
=SUMPRODUCT(--((A1:A10)=AVERAGE(A1:A10)))

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Confuddled User!!!!!!!!!!!!!" wrote:

1. We have a list of numbers.
2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers
3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater
than the average.

This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these
are nested
as a single function Excel returns a zero value.

Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the
point of Excel completely.

Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero value.

Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

This also works:
=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"="&AVERAGE(A1:A10))

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Confuddled User!!!!!!!!!!!!!" wrote:

1. We have a list of numbers.
2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers
3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater
than the average.

This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these
are nested
as a single function Excel returns a zero value.

Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the
point of Excel completely.

Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero value.

Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 05:58:02 -0800, "Confuddled User!!!!!!!!!!!!!" <Confuddled
wrote:

1. We have a list of numbers.
2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers
3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater
than the average.

This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these
are nested
as a single function Excel returns a zero value.

Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the
point of Excel completely.

Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero value.

Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice.

Calling Excel "stupid" is anthropomorphizing and probably inappropriate.

If your goal is to determine the count of numbers in the series that are equal
to, or greater than the average of those numbers, the proper format (using the
AVERAGE and COUNTIF functions) would be:

=COUNTIF(rng,"="&AVERAGE(rng))

where rng is the range of cells you are examining.

--ron