Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
leo

Default remove last character in a series of different length part #'s

i have a series of part numbers in a column in xl that vary in length but
all end in "v'. I want to remove just the "v". I tried text to coulmns and
all the functions i know.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If the v only shows up in the last character, maybe just
select your range
edit|replace
what: v
with: leave blank
replace all

If you don't want to do that, maybe a helper column of cells:

=left(a1,len(a1)-1)
drag down
copy|paste special|values
and delete the original column

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ed Ferrero

Hi leo,

This removes the last charachter
=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

This removes the last charachter only if it is a "v"
=IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="v",LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1)

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com