Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve

Default Fomula

I am currrently working on a project that includes over 30000 entries. The
thing is, I do not need to do anything with any entry that occurs once. What
I am looking for is a fomula that will take a colum and sort it by entries
that occur more that once.
For ex. If I had 5
5
5
6
7
7
8
9
9
9
I want in order of most to least, everything that occurs more than once. If
this works right everything that occurs once will be at the bottom. It is
basically a sort that does not include the once occuring entries.

any help is welcome
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

The easiest way to get frequency of occurrence or duplicate status on a
single column of items is to create a pivot table.
1. Make sure the column has a header cell
2. Select the column
3. Pull-down: Data Pivot Table to start the wizard
4. On the layout tab, drag the header cell into both the Row area and the
Data area.
5. The Data area should show Count of header
6. Click OK

The resulting table will show each item in the column and the number of
times it occurs.

If you ignore the items with a count of one, you are done.

--
Gary''s Student

"Steve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Kuunders

use a formula such as
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$30000,A1)
and fill this down a help column
then sort the two columns by the second column
30000 is a large selection
it may pay to take a back up first
--
Greetings from New Zealand