Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cms31

Default How do I limit the number of rows displayed on a worksheet?

I have a file with about 400 rows of data, however 50,000 rows are displayed.
So it is difficult to use the scroll bars, as my data is a very small
portion of the entire workbook. How do I limit the display to show and
scroll only through my 400 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cms31

The problem is, that the scroll bar on the right has so many rows, that it is
not useful for scrolling through the 400 rows of data that I have since that
is such a small portion of the entire workbook. When I hide rows, this does
not help the scrolling issue. I want to be able to somehow reset the
scrollbar so that the top is at row 1 and the bottom is at row 400 instead of
row 50,000. Do you know any way to do this?

"cms31" wrote:

I have a file with about 400 rows of data, however 50,000 rows are displayed.
So it is difficult to use the scroll bars, as my data is a very small
portion of the entire workbook. How do I limit the display to show and
scroll only through my 400 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Erin Searfoss

I don't know why it works this way, but there was probably once something in
those rows and Excel still considers that the used range. This usually works
for me.

1) Highlight all the rows below the range you are actually using
2) Delete those rows
3) Type Alt-F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
4) If you don't see the "Immediate" Window at the bottom click View,
Immediate Window in the menu
5) In the immediate window type Activesheet.Usedrange and hit enter
Your problem should be fixed.

I encounter this problem a lot so I have a button on my toolbar that runs
the following macro which resides in a module in my personal.xls.

Sub UsedRange()

For Each s In Worksheets
s.UsedRange
Next

End Sub

"cms31" wrote:

I have a file with about 400 rows of data, however 50,000 rows are displayed.
So it is difficult to use the scroll bars, as my data is a very small
portion of the entire workbook. How do I limit the display to show and
scroll only through my 400 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey

Are you saying that Excel acts as though there is information in 50,000 rows,
even though only 400 rows have data?

If that's the case, select the first empty row after your data and, while
holding down the shift key, press Ctrl-End. Now choose
Edit-Delete...-Entire Row

When done, save, close, and re-open your file. Your problem should be fixed.