Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carlah2

Default How do I add an apostrophe in front of existing column in Excel?

I have an Excel spreadsheet with names and addresses. I am trying to do a
mail merge to print labels. When I apply the merge, the zipcode drops the
initial zero. I understand I need an aphostrophe in front of the number so
the zero won't drop. Is there a way to drop a zero in front of the number in
bulk or do I hsve to go into each cell and enter it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Test this solution on *backup* data to avoid catastrophic loss!

Here's one solution: assume your zip code column is F. Add a new
column right next to column F and format it as text. Enter this
formula into the new column:
=IF(LEN(F1)=4,"0"&F1,F1)
This adds a leading zero to any entry that is only 4 characters long.
Copy the new column and paste it over the old column as values, then
delete the new column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. R.Ramachandran

Hi,

I hope that the zip codes are in a separate column (i.e., not combined with
the city names, state abbreviations, etc). If that is the case, select the
entire column, "Format" -- "Cells" -- select "Number" Tab if it is not
already selected, select "Custom", and under "Type:" enter 00000 -- "OK".

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran