Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
thekovinc

Default Excel slows down for no(?) reason...

I have a spreadsheet that is getting fairly large. It is a history of
sales for the last few months. It is about 100 columns wide, and I add
about 200 rows daily. I'm mainly doing vlookups and sorts with this
file, and I have never had any problems with sort times. Monday, I put
in about 500 of them to get caught up from the weekend, ad it now takes
about 3-4 times as long to sort even one column (much less three!).

I have no formulas in the file (I always copy/paste values when I'm
done with it to get rid of the vlookup formulas I pasted for the day),
and at any time, there is only one column with formulas in it (the
vlookup). The problem occurred when I was about at 6500 rows. I know
it should get slower as the file gets larger, but sort times went from
about 10-15 seconds to over a minute.

Are there any hardware or software limitations that might be causing
the problem? I'm running 3.0Ghz and 512 Ram. I am just a little
confused at how it became so slow after just adding a few hundred rows
(it's not like I doubled the size of the file).

thekovinc
thekovinc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29378
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=491133