Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JohnH

Default How do I create a viewable formula using calculated fields?)Excel

I need to build a fileld in an Excel Spreadsheet which shows 2 other
calculates field values in a simple statement. (ie: A1 = X1 + Y2 and B1 = R4
/ V20 such that the computed value of A1 may = 350 and B1 may = 450... I
want to show in another cell, such as C1 the computed values in a formula
ie: C1 = "(350 / 450)" will be visable, not treated as a formula and
computed. I hope this is somewhat clear.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Stevens

The following fomula should work for you:

=TEXT(A1,0)&"/"&TEXT(B1,0)

"JohnH" wrote in message
I need to build a fileld in an Excel Spreadsheet which shows 2 other
calculates field values in a simple statement. (ie: A1 = X1 + Y2 and B1 =

R4
/ V20 such that the computed value of A1 may = 350 and B1 may = 450... I
want to show in another cell, such as C1 the computed values in a formula
ie: C1 = "(350 / 450)" will be visable, not treated as a formula and
computed. I hope this is somewhat clear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

John

One method.........

="("&A1&"/"&B1&")" returns (350/450)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:19:02 -0800, "JohnH"
wrote:

I need to build a fileld in an Excel Spreadsheet which shows 2 other
calculates field values in a simple statement. (ie: A1 = X1 + Y2 and B1 = R4
/ V20 such that the computed value of A1 may = 350 and B1 may = 450... I
want to show in another cell, such as C1 the computed values in a formula
ie: C1 = "(350 / 450)" will be visable, not treated as a formula and
computed. I hope this is somewhat clear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

The intent is to show the formula actually in use in another cell, install
GetFormula in your personal.xls workbook
and invoke as follows:
=personal.xls!GetFormula(A1)

see page http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

This will show the formula as you see it on the formula bar.

If the intent was to convert each address in a formula to a constant
and show it that way his is not the solution.
---
HTH,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JohnH

Default How do I create a viewable formula using calculated fields?)Ex

Thanks Jeff, The formula portion works fine but I also needed the "(" and
")" around the numbers. The Gord Dibben solution appears to work well also.