Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Linda Broyles

Default Excel shutting down - not wanted!

For some unknown reason my bosses excel will close everything he is working
on. Until today it happened overnight, today he left his computer for maybe
1/2 an hour and came back to it and all of his spreadsheets were closed - of
course unsaved. And actually everything closes out, he generally has
numerous outlook windows open and those are all closed too. What is causing
this?? Why isn't there an auto-save option on excel like there is in Word?
or is there and I am just not finding it?

TIA
Linda
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andy

Hi Linda

Cannot help with what is causing the problem.

Can help with the Autosave though. You need to click ToolsAdd-Ins and
check the checkbox next to 'Autosave AddIn'. Now when you select Tools
again from the main menu you will see 'AutoSave', click this and then
you will be able to set up the autosave.

Thanks

Andy

Linda Broyles wrote:
For some unknown reason my bosses excel will close everything he is working
on. Until today it happened overnight, today he left his computer for maybe
1/2 an hour and came back to it and all of his spreadsheets were closed - of
course unsaved. And actually everything closes out, he generally has
numerous outlook windows open and those are all closed too. What is causing
this?? Why isn't there an auto-save option on excel like there is in Word?
or is there and I am just not finding it?

TIA
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Andy/Linda

There is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in
earlier versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving.

The settings for this can be found at ToolsOptionsSave.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 in 2002 and 2003 and it does the
job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Linda Broyles wrote:
For some unknown reason my bosses excel will close everything he is working
on. Until today it happened overnight, today he left his computer for maybe
1/2 an hour and came back to it and all of his spreadsheets were closed - of
course unsaved. And actually everything closes out, he generally has
numerous outlook windows open and those are all closed too. What is causing
this?? Why isn't there an auto-save option on excel like there is in Word?
or is there and I am just not finding it?

TIA
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Linda Broyles

Thank you guys. We have 2000 so I'll go and set it up on my bosses computer.
I really wish I could find out why it's shutting down - did it again today
while he was at lunch. He does keep LOTS of outlook windows open is it
possible that his computer goes into overload (so to speak) and shuts it all
down? He also had one time when everything deleted from outlook - all the
contacts, email, schedule. Thankfully I was able to recover it all for him
with a system restore to an earlier restore date.
Thanks again, I'll keep trying to figure this out.

Linda

Linda Broyles wrote:

For some unknown reason my bosses excel will close everything he is working
on. Until today it happened overnight, today he left his computer for maybe
1/2 an hour and came back to it and all of his spreadsheets were closed - of
course unsaved. And actually everything closes out, he generally has
numerous outlook windows open and those are all closed too. What is causing
this?? Why isn't there an auto-save option on excel like there is in Word?
or is there and I am just not finding it?

TIA
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We have a member of the Finance team having the same issue of Excel 2000
closes when he is opening random emails. The specs I can provide a
Excel 2000 SP3
Outlook 2003 SP3
Windows XP on a Dell D630 laptop.
I've added all of the Office updates and all of the Windows updates.
There is no pattern to the files. He has some that are saved local and some
from shared network drives. The emails he opens have no pattern either,
because it doesn't matter if the email is large, small, with or without
attachments.
Just turning on Autosave isn't going to be enough of a fix. We need to
actually fix this issue, not just work around.
So please, if anyone knows of why it would keep closing itself, please let
me know.
Thanks,
Spencer

The opinions expressed in this newsgroup do not necessarily reflect those of
management or of the company for which I work. Thank you.