Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shane24

Default Extra Spaces with copied data

I recently had to copy a large amount of data from my company's website.
When I copied it over to Excel all cells had trailing spaces, 5 spaces
to be exact.

What I need to know is how do I sweep through and get rid of all those
extra spaces. They are interferring with calculations and sorting of
numbers.

Thanks for all your help.

--
shane24
shane24's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4770

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dminkov

Try using function TRIM. It removes all extra spaces at the beginning
and at the end of cells, as well as between symbols, if spaces are more
than one.

--
dminkov
dminkov's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

If you have a constant 5 spaces in all cells, you are lucky because you can
replace them with an empty string:
Select all cells (click on the top left corner)
Edit/Replace, type five spaces into field Find and nothing in field Replace,
then click Replace All

Regards,
Stefi

€˛shane24€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I recently had to copy a large amount of data from my company's website.
When I copied it over to Excel all cells had trailing spaces, 5 spaces
to be exact.

What I need to know is how do I sweep through and get rid of all those
extra spaces. They are interferring with calculations and sorting of
numbers.

Thanks for all your help.

--
shane24
shane24's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4770
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490089

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shane24

Let me try to show you what I did and see what you think. I am using
the quotes so it is easy to see the spaces that are actually in the
cell.

Cell A1 = "John Smith "

Using your suggestion of TRIM I did this

Cell B1 = TRIM(B1)

Then in C1 I used the paste special function to paste just the value of
the result of B1. I still got "John Smith " as the result.

Am I using TRIM wrong??

--
shane24
shane24's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4770
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490089

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shane24

Thank you Stefi.

I tried that and Excel said it couldn't find the data I have searched
for.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks,
Shane

--
shane24
shane24's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4770
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490089

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

The blank spaces may not really be "spaces". They may be HTML
non-breaking spaces.

To remove them:
EditReplace
Find What: [alt]+0160 <-Hold down the [Alt] key..press 0160...release
[Alt]
Replace with: (leave this blank)
Click [Replace All]

Does that help?