Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gene Goldenfeld

Default Calculating frequencies

I'm frustrated (or maybe embarrassed) to have to ask this, but I can't
find in Help or a MS Office Pro 2000 book how to calculate the
frequency of unique values (zipcodes) listed in a single column, let
alone put the resultant list in another column (or anywhere empty).
I'd be grateful if someone would point the way. This is Excel 2000.
Thanks.

Gene
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Use an advanced filter to copy the uniques to another column then use
Countif to get the frequency.

See if you can figure it out from here. If you still need assistance just
post back and I (or someone) will be glad to give you a step-by-step.

Biff

"Gene Goldenfeld" wrote in message
et...
I'm frustrated (or maybe embarrassed) to have to ask this, but I can't
find in Help or a MS Office Pro 2000 book how to calculate the
frequency of unique values (zipcodes) listed in a single column, let
alone put the resultant list in another column (or anywhere empty).
I'd be grateful if someone would point the way. This is Excel 2000.
Thanks.

Gene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gene Goldenfeld

Yeah, but you really didn't answer my question: how to use a pivot
table to directly get frequencies of items in a list. There was no
second or count variable to drop into the data area of the table, thus
forcing me to do a workaround.

Gene

Gary''s Student wrote:

There are all kinds of people in the world. I love pivot tables.
Even on a single column, they work just fine.
--
Gary's Student

"Biff" wrote:

But my gosh, isn't there a more direct and intuitive way to do
this?

Welcome to the world of pivot tables! <g

Personally, I *HATE* them.

Biff

"Gene Goldenfeld" wrote in message
et...
I just found a workaround using Pivot Tables: Drop Zipcode in both
the
row and data areas, which creates a worksheet with zipcode x
frequency in the B column. Create another column with B/A and
that gets the counts. But my gosh, isn't there a more direct and
intuitive way to do this?

Gene

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Gary''s Student wrote:

The simplest approach to to first insure that there is a label
cell on top of the column (i.e. ZIP) and then generate a pivot
table:

Data Pivot Table and under layout drag ZIP to the row area
and count of ZIP to the data area.
--
Gary's Student

That's what I thought! But here's the frustration: where do you
pick up a field or something called "count" or "count of zip" to
drop in the data area? Note the clarification that I'm trying
to get a count of how many times each zipcode appears in a list
(not how many unique entries there are).

Gene