Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matilda

Default Opening Excel in IE6

I have an Excel application that I have made accessible to my department via
a website visible only to my domain. The browser itself opens from within
another application, access to which is passworded (hence restricted access
to Excel application).
However the excel app behaves very strangely, crashing unexpectedly, not
closing completely which gives - unavailable for editing - messages when
next opened.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Website is created and published in MS FrontPage. Excel version is 2003.
Host application is Omnis 7 client.

Many thanks,

Matilda
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Not a solution, but maybe a workaround...

How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

I do my best to avoid opening excel in MSIE.

But you'll have to have each user make the change to their pc.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matilda

Hi Dave,

Add me to your fan base.

If you would avoid opening Excel in MSIE, how would you make available to
multiple users the application plus ability to edit?
My workplace is 100% microsoft environment.

Matilda wrote:

I have an Excel application that I have made accessible to my department via
a website visible only to my domain. The browser itself opens from within
another application, access to which is passworded (hence restricted access
to Excel application).
However the excel app behaves very strangely, crashing unexpectedly, not
closing completely which gives - unavailable for editing - messages when
next opened.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Website is created and published in MS FrontPage. Excel version is 2003.
Host application is Omnis 7 client.

Many thanks,

Matilda

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think I'd put the file on a common server and let them open it from there.
Maybe add a hyperlink to that file that would make it easier to open, though.

But if you want multiple users to be able to update the file simultaneously, you
may not want to use excel. You'd have to share the workbook and there are lots
of features that are unavailable when you're sharing.

Maybe something like Access would be better?

Matilda wrote:

I have an Excel application that I have made accessible to my department via
a website visible only to my domain. The browser itself opens from within
another application, access to which is passworded (hence restricted access
to Excel application).
However the excel app behaves very strangely, crashing unexpectedly, not
closing completely which gives - unavailable for editing - messages when
next opened.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Website is created and published in MS FrontPage. Excel version is 2003.
Host application is Omnis 7 client.

Many thanks,

Matilda

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matilda

Thanks, Dave. Problem solved by unchecking the "Open in Browser Window"
button in Folder Options.

The file is passworded, most users need RO access with one or two at most
needing to edit. This should work.

Ta +++

Matilda