-   -   Using "IF" statements...my problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/58122-using-if-statements-my-problem.html)

[email protected]

Using "IF" statements...my problem

One column has one letter in each cell, something between A through E,
basically randomly occuring down
the entire column. Next to each cell in that column is a number value
associated with the letter, but of course each nominal letter (not each
instance) may be associated with x different numbers/values, depending
on how many times is shows up in the column. ANyway, how do I use "IF,
then" statements to sum, say, all the numbers associated with "A"?

Biff

Using "IF" statements...my problem

Hi!

Try this:

Letters in column A, numeric values in column B.

=SUMIF(A:A,"A",B:B)

OR:

C1 = A

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)