Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ftjjk

Default Read Only_Protected Workbook?

We have a multisheet workbook that is created from a proprietary report
writer. At the file level, the workbook does not have Read Only
checkmarked. However all of the boxes are greyed out. Under the
Tools_Protection menu the workbook does not appear to be protected.

The problem is: we cannot change any of the data and we wanted to be
able to analyze it further in Excel. When we try to change something
we get an error message telling us we can't make changes because the
the cell is protected and therefore read-only. But we can't unprotect
it?

Any help is appreciated

--
ftjjk
ftjjk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7373

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Readonly means that you can't save over the existing file (well, without some
effort).

But you can still change cells.

But if the worksheet is protected, then you can't change locked cells on that
sheet.

Tools|protection|unprotect sheet
You may need to supply a password.

ftjjk wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zack Barresse

You are probably out of luck unless you can get the owner of thte
proprietary report writer to grant you password access to the data. Doing
anything else may be illegal and I can't really advise of doing something
like that.

Passwords are there for a reason, and it sounds like in this case it is to
'safe harbor' intellectual property.

Sorry.

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"ftjjk" wrote in
message ...

We have a multisheet workbook that is created from a proprietary report
writer. At the file level, the workbook does not have Read Only
checkmarked. However all of the boxes are greyed out. Under the
Tools_Protection menu the workbook does not appear to be protected.

The problem is: we cannot change any of the data and we wanted to be
able to analyze it further in Excel. When we try to change something
we get an error message telling us we can't make changes because the
the cell is protected and therefore read-only. But we can't unprotect
it?

Any help is appreciated

--
ftjjk
ftjjk's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489648

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rsenn

Give this a look. It may work a little differently if you are using a
version other than the Excel 2002 that I use.

Click Tools Macro Visual Basic Editor.

Then under View make sure that the Project Explorer and the Properties
windows are both visible.

Making sure to select the correct page in the Project Explorer, then in
the properties window find the Scroll Area. Make sure it is clear.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050