Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jmadam39

Default How to save values only from linked Excel files?

I have a very large Excel file due to linked data files. Is it possible to
save in a separate Excel file the values only from the linked files [and not
the links] to reduce the file size for e-mailing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Save the file as a new name
then select the cells
edit|copy
edit|paste special|Values

This will convert all the formulas to values.

If that's too much, you may be able (depending on your version):
edit|links|break links.

If your version of excel doesn't have this option, you could use Bill Manville's
addin to find the external links and change them to values:

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jmadam39

Thank you Dave for your quick response. I forgot to mention that all the
linked data is displayed in numerous pivot tables [Edit|Links cannot be
selected (Excel 2003)]. The Edit|Paste Special|Values did work but the Pivot
Table formatting was lost. Is there a way to freeze the data in the Pivot
Tables without the links to the source data?

jmadam39 wrote:

I have a very large Excel file due to linked data files. Is it possible to
save in a separate Excel file the values only from the linked files [and not
the links] to reduce the file size for e-mailing?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The formatting of the PT shouldn't have been lost--but the PT itself was.

I don't know of any way to keep the pivottable, but to lose the links.

But maybe someone else does.