Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Caroline41

Default asterisk in a cell

Hi I have an asterisk in a cell aligned to the right and I can't get rid of
it. It goes if I type on it but I am wondering if I have miskeyed or maybe
used some sort of format without realising it.

Also is there a table of some sort that explains the signs and symbols that
appear in cells for various reasons. E.g. the little triangle at the top
right etc.

I am using Excel 2003.

Kindest regards
Caroline
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

When you select that cell with the asterisk, do you see a blue outline around a
range of cells?

If you do, then you could be looking at a list (created by Data|List)

To remove the list, try this:
select a cell within the list
ata|list|Convert to range

If the little triangle at the top right is red, then this is a comment
indicator. You should see a comment when you let the mouse icon hover over that
cell.

I typed
Red Triangle
in the ask a question box (top right corner)
and the first suggestion was about comments.

The second was a description of what those kind of indicators mean.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Caroline41

Hi Dave,

Thank you for replying. I am at home at the moment so can not have a look.
Will try it tomorrow at work and let you know if it did.

Caroline 41