Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kittykat8181

Default Percentage Formula

I have a table of passes and fails from my students as i am a driving
instructor and i would like to have a running column showing the percentage
of passes/fails

ie

name test date result

joe bloggs 11/05/2005 fail
joy biggs 17/06/2005 pass

would like a fourth column or even just one cell showing the percentage, wot
formula do i need to do this please x
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

If your results are in column C and you have say 30 students then

=COUNTIF(C1:C30,"=pass")/30 formatted as percentage will give you pass
percent
--
Gary''s Student

"Kittykat8181" wrote:

I have a table of passes and fails from my students as i am a driving
instructor and i would like to have a running column showing the percentage
of passes/fails

ie

name test date result

joe bloggs 11/05/2005 fail
joy biggs 17/06/2005 pass

would like a fourth column or even just one cell showing the percentage, wot
formula do i need to do this please x

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Kitty,

Assumptions: pass / fail entered in column C, starting in row 2, limited to first 100 rows.

For the one cell version:

=COUNTIF(C2:C100,"fail")/COUNTA(C2:C100)
=COUNTIF(C2:C100,"pass")/COUNTA(C2:C100)

For the running version
=COUNTIF($C$2:C2,"fail")/COUNTA($C$2:C2)
=COUNTIF($C$2:C2,"pass")/COUNTA($C$2:C2)
in cell D2, copy down to match column C.

Format for percentages.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP