Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Default Anyone Else Use Database Query to Query Another Sheet in the Same

I agree! If you're comfortable with basic SQL, MS Query can be a powerful
tool to harvest data from Excel. I use it fairly regularly against the same
and multiple workbooks for: Merging data, Extracting same/different data,
etc. Many times a MS Query solution can be built in a fraction of the time
it would take for me to code a VBA solution.

To see some of my forum responses that pertain to MS Query, search the
general Excel forum for "MS Query Coderre".

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Lisa B." wrote:

Wow! I tried this out, and it seems to work beautifully. It's odd, though,
that I haven't seen this technique mentioned in any of the several Excel
references that I've looked at.

Basically, I have a workbook with several worksheets...one worksheet
contains a large list with all the records.

I wanted to set up the other worksheets to have certain functions...I wanted
them to use only certain columns from the main list, and to contain only
certain records from the main list that met specified conditions.

This is the best solution I have found so far - i.e., creating database
queries on these other worksheets which query the main list.

But, whenever I see query discussed in the reference books, they always
discuss it in terms of querying an "external" data source...I've never seen
them mention querying another page in the same workbook. It makes me think
maybe I'm overlooking some other very easy, obvious, and direct way of doing
what I want to do.

Anyone else out there have any other clever ways of creating refreshable
subsets of an excel list?

Lisa B.