Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dford

Default Cell to return null instead of 0

I have a formula that returns 0 instead of null. When I sort the column in
assending order the cells with 0 show up first. I need the cells to be null
so they do not show up first in the sort.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

You can't have it both ways if the reason your formula returns zero instead
of blank is because you would get an error if you use "" instead of 0, if
not just change the formula that returns zero

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"dford" wrote in message
I have a formula that returns 0 instead of null. When I sort the column in
assending order the cells with 0 show up first. I need the cells to be
null
so they do not show up first in the sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)

Biff

"dford" wrote in message
I have a formula that returns 0 instead of null. When I sort the column in
assending order the cells with 0 show up first. I need the cells to be
null
so they do not show up first in the sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

What does your formula have.

Also check your tools, options, view, uncheck zero values
I just had to uncheck that myself, evidently it is a default.
--
---
HTH,

"dford" wrote in message ...
I have a formula that returns 0 instead of null. When I sort the column in
assending order the cells with 0 show up first. I need the cells to be null
so they do not show up first in the sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dford

The formula reads =If(sheet1!B138=0."",sheet1!b138) This formula is in Sheet
2. The cell b138 in Sheet 1 is blank. When I sort the cells in Sheet 2 in
ascending order these cells appear first. I have unchecked zero values in
tools/options/view.

"dford" wrote in message ...
I have a formula that returns 0 instead of null. When I sort the column in
assending order the cells with 0 show up first. I need the cells to be null
so they do not show up first in the sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

hopefully just a typo
=If(sheet1!B138=0."",sheet1!b138)
you have a period instead of a comma
---
HTH,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

And I would think that if B138 actually was a zero, then 0 should be returned:

=If(sheet1!B138="","",sheet1!b138)

David McRitchie wrote:

hopefully just a typo
=If(sheet1!B138=0."",sheet1!b138)
you have a period instead of a comma
---
HTH,

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

okay it was strictly a typo, he did not paste the actual formula, because the
error constitutes a syntax error and is not accepted as a formula.